My Experience with Vietnamese Food in the United States

 As an immigrant who was born and raised in Vietnam, I grew up in a house embedded by traditional Vietnamese food. At an earlier age, the food from my hometown became an important part of my life. Throughout my childhood, I often spent time around the dining table with my family surrounded by home-cooked meals. Among those dishes, Bun Bo (spicy beef noodle) is one of the most special dishes to me. It is a dish that holds many memories for my family. Sometimes, my family went out to nearby restaurants to eat Bun Bo. Other times, my mom cooked it at home. My mom’s homemade version was the best because it reminded me of the familiar and distinct taste that I grew up with.

A bowl of homemade Bun Bo



 

 Surprisingly, there are more important things besides the dishes themselves. There were moments and memories of the time that my family created around the small wooden dining table together. These were the times that we ate, talked, and laughed with each other as we passed around the plates. Everyone shared stories about their day or interesting things that were happening in our lives. My parents often asked me about schoolwork or new books that I had read that day. Our conversations went on as the news played on the TV in the background. These daily conversations made our time together more memorable. At that time, I did not realize how much they would mean to me until I left Vietnam for the United States. I often thought that these moments were just a normal part of my daily life, but I began to miss those simple moments more than I ever expected.

  

While I was still getting used to being far away from my family and hometown, a strong feeling of homesickness suddenly struck me as I was sitting alone in the living room of a house in a foreign country. The feeling of homesickness, especially missing the familiar food of my hometown, made my heart feel empty, and that was when I realized how much I missed my home. Instead of continuing to be sad, I told myself that I had to do something. That was the moment I decided to cook my favorite dish - Bun Bo - a dish associated with my family’s memories. For me, Bun Bo is not just a dish; it is also a familiar taste that brought back memories of my family dinners and the warmth of my old home. At the same time, staying busy with cooking helped me forget the sadness of living far away from home. 


 Since I did not have the right ingredients at home, I immediately drove to the nearest farmers market to get the necessary ingredients. However, it was the first time that I had made Bun Bo by myself, so I had to go online to look up a list of ingredients. Then, I filled my cart with a lot of ingredients such as lemongrass, onions, beef bones, etc. After checking out, I left the market and drove home with a feeling of excitement, since I was about to make a familiar dish that reminded me of home.

 

 Nevertheless, I soon felt more anxious and confused than ever when I stood in a large and empty kitchen with unfamiliar ingredients. This was the first time I tried to cook this dish on my own. Honestly, I struggled and did not know where to start.  In the past, my mom was the chief and I was her helper. Despite being nervous, I was determined to face this difficult challenge to find that familiar taste. I started watching videos on how people make Bun Bo on TikTok and YouTube; however it wasn’t enough. I immediately called my mom and told her my thoughts. I asked her for step-by-step instructions. Fortunately, my mom completely understood everything. She patiently guided me step-by-step while I started preparing the ingredients. Through the video call, the broth came to life as she instructed me when and how much spices to add. I was no longer afraid or lost in the kitchen after I heard her calm voice. Her encouraging words gave me the motivation to keep going. “Have you put the lemongrass in yet?” my mom asked through the phone. As the aroma of lemongrass mixed with the spices filled the kitchen, the memories of my family in Vietnam came back to me once again.


 


 Thanks to my mother’s dedicated guidance, the Bun Bo was completed with our efforts. I could taste the richness of the broth, the tenderness of beef, the chewiness of Vietnamese pork sausage, the aroma of lemongrass, the saltiness of fish sauce along with numbing spice. All of these flavors came together and created a familiar taste that I had not enjoyed in a long time. I quickly showed her my creation. “You did a great job!” she said. And her encouragement made me feel more emotional than ever.


 Although the taste was not as perfect compared to the bowls of Bun Bo that I ate in my hometown due to my novice experience, I was still proud of it since it was a dish I made. It brought back the  memories of my family. I felt less homesick because I could still feel my mother’s love even though we were thousands of miles from each other. At that moment,  I felt that food has reconnected me with my country, especially my family. It reminded me of the peaceful and happy atmosphere that I had with my family. In the end, this experience left me an important realization. The familiar taste of Bun Bo did bring me closer to my family and my hometown; however, it could not physically transport me back to all those moments around our family table or my home in Vietnam. I recognized that what I truly missed was not just the food, but also my family and the time I spent with them.

 

Image Attribution 

Bun Bo. Photo by Le Truong Son. Used with permission.

 

 

Comments

  1. Hi Ngan! Your photo choice and vivid descriptions really helped me understand what the dish is since i've never had it myself. You also did a wonderful job at showing how this dish connects you to not just Vietnam, but to your family (especially your mom!) as well.

    I really liked that even though the bowl of Bun Bo that you made wasn't exactly like a bowl from home, you were still proud of yourself for making it. Thank you for sharing such a venerable connection with us. I enjoyed reading about how Bun Bo has helped you feel connected to your home and family, even with the struggles of being in a new country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ngan! I've loved reading your story. You made Bun Bo so real to me with your photo and how you described every ingredient and flavor – although I’ve never had it, I could imagine exactly what it tastes and smells like. You also did a great job of showing how this dish connects you not just to Vietnam, but to your family, especially your mom. I loved your description of cooking Bun Bo for the first time on your own. It was really touching when you called your mom, and she walked you through it step‑by‑step.

    Thank you for sharing Ngan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing more than a Coke